Mama Dor’s Kitchen provides a range of authentic Indian Spice Blends. All blends are sugar & gluten free and are suitable on a vegan diet. They are provided in a refillable glass spice jar and come with an easy to follow recipe card. There are over 15 blends to choose from, all created with family and ease of use in mind. So they are all mild and flavourful, and typically can be made using ingredients you already have in your store cupboard. The jars range from £5 to £10 each, with each jar containing enough Spice Blend for 12 servings. And when your jar is empty, bring it back for a refill, at a lower price.
- 2 tablespoons of Mama Dor’s Karahi Lamb Spice Blend*
- 500g lamb shoulder, cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 fresh chillies (optional)
1. Create a paste using the Spice Blend, yoghurt, tomato puree and vinegar. Add the lamb and leave to marinate for at least two hours, covered in the fridge. The vinegar may seem like a strange addition, but it works beautifully with lamb, adding a little tang but also tenderising the lamb.
2. When you’re ready to cook, take the marinated lamb out of the fridge and leave to sit at room temperature for 30mins. This is an important step to ensure the yoghurt doesn’t split when you add to the pan.
3. In a deep frying pan, brown off the onion with chillies (if using) in the olive oil. Once nicely brown, add the lamb mixture with about 100ml of tap water. Give it a good stir, cover and turn to a low heat.
4. Cook for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. The sauce will become thick and the lamb beautifully tender. Serve with warm naan bread or fluffy basmati rice.
* Note: if you do not have the Mama Dor’s Karahi Lamb Spice Blend, you can substitute for a generic curry powder blend. It won’t be as aromatic or authentic but the method described above will give you tender lamb.
If you’d like to try the Karahi Lamb recipe above, or any of the other delicious blends,
visit www.mamadorskitchen.co.uk, and use offer code